Mobility Workshop Notes
At our January Championship Workshop, we were pleased to welcome guest instructor Curt McGorman. Curt is an NSCA-certified trainer who has worked with the Canadian Olympic bobsled and speed skating teams and specializes in mobility and flexibility training. It was a great opportunity for all of you to get advice from a trainer that specializes in international-level sport performance.
For your reference, here's a listing of the stretching and mobility series we did with Curt on that day. Dancers, please remember that each stretch is to be held for 2 full minutes and repeated on both sides where applicable.
- Standing forward bend
- Standing forward bend with one leg forward
- Seated forward bend
- Kneeling lunge with arm raised overhead
- Kneeling lunge with hands down, rotate hip in small circles
- Modification to kneeling lunge - walk hands away from knee
- Modification to kneeling lunge - drop onto elbow, push knee away with free hand
- Deep squats
- Frog stretch
- Modified Pigeon Pose (with back leg bent)
- Full Pigeon Pose (with back leg straight)
- Double Pigeon Pose (shins stacked)
- Stand with back against wall, reach arms overhead and pull elbows down to right angle
- Lie on your side, bend one leg and full back, hold at the ankle
- Kneeling lunge, bend back knee and hold at the ankle
- Use a lacrosse ball to roll out the arches of the feet
- Follow up with a standing hamstring stretch
Happy stretching everyone!